The target audience is the specific group of people that will buy and use your product or service. Target audiences have certain demographics, or traits and characteristics. Demographics can include the city where someone lives, their age, their job, and their favorite activities. It’s important to determine your target audience so you don’t try and sell to people who wouldn’t use your product or be interested in your service. That would waste your time and money.
This is a fun part of the process because you get to imagine the type of person who will happily use your product or service. Use these questions below to start to build an image of what your target audience looks like. What other questions can you ask that will help you picture the person you will sell to?
- Where do they live?
- What age are they?
- Do they have children?
- Are they married / single / divorced?
- How much money do they make?
- Do they have, and what it is?
- Do they own a home?
- What is their ethnicity?
- What is their education level?
- What is their nationality?
- What groups to they belong to (church, sports, book club, etc.)
- What is their lifestyle like?
- What are their interests?
- What is their internet and smart phone use?
- Do they engage in social media, and if so, what kinds?
- What is their goal in buying this product / service?